Tuesday, August 13, 2002

Poster Children, Imperial Teen, the Breeders (08.12.02)

the Band: Poster Children, Imperial Teen, the Breeders
the Date: Mon August 12, 2002
the Venue: Numbers (Houston)



(Photo credit to me)

I had just seen the Breeders a few days ago in DC, but I decided that it was definitely worth seeing them again … now in Houston. Just as a quick refresher, the Breeders are Kim and Kelley Deal, Mando Lopez (bass), Richard Presley (guitar), and Jose Medeles (drums).

Before I get carried away, it’s worth noting that the opening acts, Poster Children and Imperial Teen, were okay … not really my thing. I was bummed because I had heard that my favorite local indie band, the Groceries, were going to open for the Breeders, but I guess that was just a rumor. I regrettably picked up a few Poster Children CDs and a DVD at the merch table … obviously, the result of the Jack Daniels and Diet Cokes. Oops!

The newly reunited Breeders started the show with Tipp City from the Amps days. Awesome! The band continued their set taking selections from Pod, Last Splash and Title TK. As in DC, the Buffy theme and Angry Inch from Hedwig and the Angry Inch were played.

My favorite part of the night was when the Breeders were playing and I quickly phoned my best friend, Joe, and held up my cell phone so that he could hear the show … this caught the attention of Kelley and she mouthed the following to me, “Who’s that?” and I quickly responded by mouthing the word, “Mom” … this made Kelley smile. That made my night!

Full setlist (not from this show, but from a show around this time … sorry, best I could do): Tipp City / Huffer / Saints / Little Fury / Flipside / Head to Toe / I Just Want to Get Along / Off You / Cannonball / Safari / Hellbound / No Aloha / Full On Idle / Son of Three / Pacer / Drivin’ on 9 / The She / Theme from Buffy the Vampire Slayer/ Fortunately Gone / Angry Inch // ENCORE // Divine Hammer / Iris / I Don’t Care About You

no bye, no aloha
gone with a rock promoter . . .

No comments: