Sunday, April 20, 2003

Portastatic, Yo La Tengo (04.19.03)

the Band: Portastatic, Yo La Tengo
the Date: Saturday April 19, 2003
the Venue: 9:30 Club (DC)


(Photo credit to Sam and his Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/people/sammich/)

Portastatic opened. This is the solo project of Mac McGaughan (formerly of Superchunk). Missed them … er, I mean him.

Yo La Tengo, consisting of Ira Kaplan (guitar/vocals), Georgia Hubley (drums/vocals), and James McNew (bass/vocals), has been around since the dawn of alternative music (i.e., the early 80’s). They were touring to promote the release of their tenth album, Summer Sun. I fell asleep during this show. I mean, I literally dozed off and almost dropped my beer. Gasp! Sorry, gang, this is just not my thing.

Full setlist (not from this show, but from a show around this time … best I could do): Beach Party Tonight / Georgia vs. Yo La Tengo / How to Make a Baby Elephant Float / From a Motel 6 / Madeline / Winter A-Go-Go / Season of the Shark / Today is the Day / Tiny Birds / Don’t Have to Be So Sad / Little Eyes / Autumn Sweater / Moonrock Mambo / Deeper into Movies / I Heard You Looking / Nuclear War (Sun Ra cover)/ Let’s Save Tony Orlando’s House / You Can Have it All / Griselda / Time Fades Away (Neil Young cover)

No comments: